So How Does One Promote a GoFundMe Page?
Need help with your emergency medical bills or University tuition fees? Or do you need funds to pursue your passion? If you are stuck in any such scenario GoFundMe can help you. It is a crowdfunding website that was founded in the United States of America in 2010 as a for-profit company and since then, the website has helped people raise more than 5 Billion USD collectively for different campaigns.
That is a lot of money. In this article, we are discussing what made that possible and can you use this platform effectively to raise money for a cause. Below are some tips and tricks that you can use to promote your GoFundMe page and get more and more people donating to your campaign. Before that one core fact should be kept in mind i.e. your donors are mostly the people closest to you. They can be family, friends or friends of friends. Strangers might fund your campaign (if your story is that touchy) but such cases are very rare. So moving to the tips:
- Write your story carefully: It should be more factual than pleading. Be very careful and precise with your choice of words. Do not sound like a desperately needy person. Maintain the dignity of yourself and your cause.
- Get to as many people as possible: Your goal is to reach as many people as possible. Do you never know who might be willing to help someone that day? A study by GoFundMe suggested that you can get 15$ in a donation for every donor sharing your page. Irrespective of the fact that a person donates or not, each share can increase 13$ in your total sum. Do you never know who might be willing to help someone that day?
Use the following of the tools to get to more and more people:
Facebook is one of the most used social media websites and people spend a lot of time on Facebook. Share your page preferably with your story on Facebook and ask your friends to share it on their walls, pages or in their groups.
Share the link to your page here and ask your friends to retweet. You can also add a short description keeping in mind the characters limit of 280/tweet.
When it comes to Instagram, Hashtags get prime importance. Do not forget including popular and easy to search hashtags to your post containing the link to your page. On this social media network, a picture is must with each post.
YouTube is the most popular video sharing website on the internet. You can make a video about your campaign and upload it on YouTube to take your promotion to the next level. Personal appearance in the video is a plus. Explain your case to your viewers in the video and it might help them understand your situation better, ultimately leading you to your goal.
This is another video sharing site although less popular than YouTube but it still has more than 100 million users and it is more popular among Americans so it can come handy.
Email Although an old and conventional method, Email is still a popular way of communication among most of the people. GoFundMe gives you an option to share your page through Email threads with your contacts. In one opinion, Email is a better way to approach people than others. That is a convincing thought. Isn’t it?
- Avoid Spamming: Spamming is a very common mistake that people make. In order to get more and more visitors to their page, they start posting the link to their page literally anywhere, let it be a Facebook comments section, Twitter or Instagram. This weakens their case. Remember that no one pays attention to such spam material.
- Social Media Influencers: This term is used for people who have a huge social media fan following. If your goal is very high, you can request such people to promote your GoFundMe page.
- Use your personal relations: There are people in your life who care about you. You have somehow added value to their life. Use your relationship with these people to get maximum shares for your page on the internet.
- Paid Promotion: You can use advertisements on Social Media to convey your story to millions of people in your city or country. This is definitely not free of cost but these websites provide a good return of investment. So you can get more donations by using a few bucks.
These are some of the important channels you can use to uplift your cause. Good Luck!